You probably have so many questions about the newborn session, so here’s some information to make the day go as smooth as possible.
Things to know before baby comes:
1) Please add me to your list of people to notify when you deliver. Then we will confirm a date for the photo shoot. It will be my goal to photograph your baby within the first two weeks so it is important that you contact me immediately to schedule you on my calendar. If you wait 2 or more days to inform me you have had the baby, I may not be able to get to you within two weeks. So please, contact me the day you have the baby. All newborn sessions are held on a weekday, in the morning. Mornings are when baby is sleepiest (Mommy too, sorry).
2) Don’t worry about shopping. You have enough on your plate to worry about buying props. The studio is stocked with simple and classic props, outfits, headbands/hats, wraps, and more.
3) If you have a specific request, may be good to let me know ahead of your arrival. For instance, you have a girl and you HATE pink…. That would be good to let me know BEFORE I set up. 🙂
1) It’s really important that you keep baby awake for at least an hour before our session. Play with him/her, give a bath, the more he/she is awake before our session the more likely we’ll be able to get him/her in the deep sleep that we need for our session.
2) Give babe a FULL feeding RIGHT before you leave the house. (If you leave at 9am, feed at 8:30) I’m hoping the car ride helps put them in a deep sleep. Please keep babe in car carrier when coming into the studio. We don’t want to wake him or her.
3) Bring a bottle with either formula or breast milk in it. There will be times when I need to feed baby to keep him/her in position and baby’s get VERY hungry during these shoots. I will not use a bottle if I do not have to, but please bring one. Babies always tend to be a little more hungry at photo shoots because they are not getting the full rest they require.
4) Please bring a pacifier. The soft green ones you get at the hospital are the best!
5) Baby will be naked for most shots, so my studio needs to be VERY, VERY warm (remember, they are use to your 98 degree body temperature).
6) 2 hours before photo session please loosen diaper so there are no elastic marks on baby’s legs. Also please no elastic clothes that will leave markings on his/her skin. No need to “dress up” baby, as I will be taking all their clothes off. Just put them in comfy, easy to take off pajamas.
7) Lastly, Newborn photo shoots take about 2.5 hours. I take my time and give baby lots of breathing room and time for nursing/feedings. No rushing. So be prepared to relax and stay a while. You can even bring your computer, lunch or snacks.
What to Wear
1) Baby will be naked, so please do not dress him/her up. Comfy easy to get off pajamas – NO buttons or snaps. Loose, zippered pajamas are best.
2) If you’d like to be in photos with your baby, go basic and solid. Black, cream, or skin tone are always a safe bet. Images for this type of shot are generally closely cropped, so don’t stress too much about your wardrobe. Your bottom half will not be in any shots, so wear comfortable bottoms.
If you have any questions or concerns about your photo shoot, please reach out to me by either e-mail or phone.
I know this is an exciting time in your life and I am so excited to have a part in it. I look forward to meeting you and your little one. Please know that I will take great care while your babe is in my arms.
See you soon!